Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chocolate Waffles with Berry Sauce

I got this recipe from "Our Best Bites" and quadrupled it for my family. The quadrupled recipe made about 14-15 large waffles.  I will freeze all the leftovers for the boys to eat another day.  Next time I may try using wheat flour but it might wreck the light, fluffy texture. We'll see.

Here's the original recipe which would make 3-4 waffles.

2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt (I left that out)
1 cup milk (I used nonfat)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla (I used real vanilla like always)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I left those out because I didn't want chocolate overload)

Berry Sauce and Topping
1/4 cup raspberry or strawberry jam
2 tablespoons hot water (I just used warm tap water)
3 cups berries,any combination, fresh or frozen
Powdered sugar to taste (I didn't add any)

To make the berry sauce...
In a saucepan I just combined jam (or was it jelly that I had on-hand?), water and some sliced strawberries that I had bought fresh a week or two ago and that were in the freezer. I warmed the mixture up on low while preparing the waffles.

To make the waffles...
Preheat the waffle iron. Whisk together all dry ingredients in one bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Let sit til the wet ingredients get a little frothy. Slowly add wet mixture to dry mixture and don't overmix. Add chocolate chips if desired. Batter will be thin. The recipe said not to grease the waffle iron but my first waffle stuck so I sprayed waffle iron with Pam before each waffle and it worked better. Use a ladle to put batter into the iron. Do not overfill or it will leak and you'll have a huge mess to clean up like I just did! Bake according to your waffle iron's instructions.

Serve with berry sauce on top and whipped cream if desired. My husband also tried putting peanut butter on his waffle which was also yummy. These waffles could also be used as a dessert if served with ice cream.

Huge hit with the kiddos!  Even my picky eater complimented the chef :)

No comments: