Monday, May 16, 2011

Chevy's Fresh Salsa



I got this basic recipe from a "Top Secret Restaurant Recipes" book that I bought at Kohl's for $5.00. The book had lots of great versions of recipes from restaurants that we like. My hubby goes nuts over the salsa at Chevy's so I decided to make this for him. He said it is the best salsa ever! Of course I always modify recipes, so here is my version below.

Ingredients:
5-6 medium tomatoes
2-3 jalapenos
1/4 of a red onion
1-2 cloves fresh garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid mesquite smoke

Directions:
Preheat your grill. Remove stems from tomatoes and rub some oil on them. Rub oil on jalapenos too. Place tomatoes on grill when it's hot. After about 10 minutes, add the jalapenos to the grill. About 10 minutes later turn the tomatoes and the jalapenos. Continue grilling until the jalapenos are charring black and tomatoes are partially black. When the skin starts to come off, they are done. Remove from grill and let them cool on a plate. When cooled, remove the black part of the skin. If you are impatient like me, I put them under some cold water to speed up the cooling process and to not burn my hands. Put the tomatoes and peppers in the blender (or food processor). Add remaining ingredients and mix for 5-10 seconds until the mixture has a good consistency. Place in covered container and chill for several hours or overnight to let flavors blend. Makes 2-3 cups.

No comments: