Monday, May 16, 2011
Chevy's Sweet Corn Tomalito
Ever eaten at Chevy's and had that yummy corn cake mushy scoop on the side of your order? It is called Sweet Corn Tomalito and I just made it! This side dish goes well with Mexican dishes or BBQ.
4 cups frozen corn, thawed
1/3 cup butter, softened (about 2/3 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup masa harina (corn flour like they use to make tamales)
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use salted butter so I didn't add the salt)
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2) Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer. Add milk and masa and mix well.
3) Use a blender to puree 2 cups of corn until smooth. Add pureed corn to butter/masa mixture and mix well. Add corn meal, baking power, salt and remaining corn and mix until combined. I didn't have masa harina so I just ground up popcorn kernels to make corn flour and it worked great.
4) Pour mixture into an ungreased 8x8 glass baking pan (I used a 7x10 pan because that is all I had). Cover with tin foil and place the pan into a 9x13 baking pan. Add hot water to the big pan until it is about 2/3 full.
5) Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes or until cake is firm in the center and not gooey. Remove from oven and let it sit on the counter covered for 10 minutes before serving. To serve, scoop out 1/2 cup portions with a large spoon. Makes about 8 large servings.