Tuesday, May 10, 2011

IHOP Harvest Grain 'n Nut Pancakes

I found this recipe in a "Top Secret Restaurant Recipe" book and made these for my in-laws when they visited last weekend. We all loved them!

Mix in one bowl:
3/4 cup oats (measure then grind up in blender to make oat flour)
3/4 cup wheat flour (I ground up wheat kernels then measured)
1/3 cup flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt (I left this out because I don't like salt)

Mix in another bowl with an electric mixer:
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
2 eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar

3 tablespoons almonds
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
(I ground the nuts up in the blender to make them small, but not like flour)

Mix the bowl of dry ingredients and the bowl of wet ingredients together. Add the nuts last and mix by hand.

Spray the griddle with Pam, ladle batter onto hot skillet and cook as usual. They look more brown than usual pancakes do. Makes 12 or more pancakes.

Next time I make these I will probably try using eggs whites instead of whole eggs and replacing the white flour with wheat. Maybe I'll add some milled flax seed. I always love to alter recipes!

No comments: